LBB take

League Updates & Information
Green Bay Bombers
All-Pro

LBB take

Post by Green Bay Bombers »

I’ve forgotten how to send this to league?
lots of new rivalries ...
PROPOSED #3
National West National South American Central American East
Colorado Louisiana Springfield * Pittsburgh (Mississippi)
Honolulu Mobile Peoria Steel Valley
Portland *Augusta, GA (Fargo) Ft.Wayne Connecticut
Black Hills * TX or FL team (Dayton) Madison Tennessee
Wichita *Battle Creek (Billings)

My take is: BLK enters the division of death, but they would be the fav to win it next season and beyond

I have wished since I entered the league, and lobbied long and hard to compete in the NFC, and now I get that opportunity

The AFC Central instantly becomes the new division of death?

Pittsburg is in!

I just have a warm and fuzzy feeling this is where we need to go forward. Jimmy, LBB.

JH-Tide
Seasoned-Veteran

Post by JH-Tide »

My point was also that if we're having a bunch of teams skating around (including, for example, championship teams like Dayton), other owners might want to move as well. You'd need to wait, really, to see where people choose to go.

JH-Tide
Seasoned-Veteran

Post by JH-Tide »

Some clarification...

As of this season's playoff run, we had a structure like this:

11 original teams in their original positions:

Colorado, Portland, Honolulu
Black Hills, Fargo
Mississippi, Mobile, Louisiana
Dayton, Ft.Wayne, Steel Valley

These teams form the "backbone" of the FIFL. Between them they've won 14 of 16 championships and 26 of 32 conference titles.

7 teams have bounced around a bit:

* The original Duluth team moved to Wichita, but stayed within the same division. Minimal impact as they haven't won much of anything.
* The original Texas team moved to Billings, and is now moving to Battle Creek. Minimal impact as they haven't won much of anything, either.
* The original Trenton team has moved the most frequently, subsequently playing in Bismark, Lincoln, and has now cozied up in Connecticut. Again, minimal impact as they haven't won much.
* The original Green Bay team jumped conferences, then after a spell moved to St.Louis, and recently split for Tennessee. Some impact would exist as this team has a conference title under its belt, but luckily they picked up this title at their current location.
* The original Utah squad stirred up things a bit, having picked up a conference title prior to their conference jump and relocation to Austin, but have since returned to their original conference after moving from there to Peoria.
* The original Madison team is somewhat unusual in that the team didn't actually move, but jumped conferences after the first season. Again, a minor impact in that while they've picked up a couple of conference titles, they've acquired them in the conference where they are currently located.
* Finally, the original Erie club, which moved first to Sioux Falls and later to Springfield, has brought the most impact in that they've secured 2 league championships from their current home in the Great Plains Division.

In all, these 7 teams have only picked up 2 of 16 championships and 6 of 32 conference titles- and of those, the 2 championships and 4 of the titles were won by Springfield and Madison, who have been in their positions for 14 and 15 seasons to date, respectively. In other words, though the remaining teams in this group flit about fairly often, it has had little impact on the league as there is a solid, stable core of teams.

Dave's proposal tips things a bit, though.

The move of Billings to Battle Creek isn't that big of a deal in of itself. After that, though, a bit of stress is put upon the league's structure.

Moving Madison "disrupts history" a bit, so to speak, by moving a 2-time American conference winner to the National conference. Not huge, and frankly to me secondary to the fact that Paul wants to retain his divisional rivalries, but still a small disruption.

Moving Fargo, who like several of the above teams has claim to neither a championship or conference title, is nonetheless disruptive as they are one of the original 11 teams lending stability to the league's core.

Moving Mississippi , winner of 1 conference title, is mildly disruptive because again, one of the original teams is shifting (though their title would remain within the conference),

The big move is, of course, Dayton- 2-time league champ, holding 3 conference titles, heading out of conference... ugh.

Suddenly, we also end up with only 8 original teams versus 10 transients.

Now, I'm emphatically NOT saying the various teams shouldn't move (though I might prefer that whoever takes the reins at Dayton be allowed to decide whether or not to carry on the team's identity).

On the contrary, I'm suggesting that if such moves are going to be made, the "core" teams are suddenly in the minority, the history/presence of conference or even league titles becomes shifting and less important... and that, therefore, we should allow for every owner to decide if they, too, want to move, at least within reasonable limits (for example, no choosing to name your team for some 3rd-tier Japanese club, or your local JC team).

Give everyone, say, a week to look around, see what little indoor leagues are out there, and grab a new moniker if they like. We can stipulate that there will be no moves for 5 or 6 seasons after this, in order to re-establish some stability. Sort out divisions afterwards. If, by the time everyone's finished, we still have at-large clubs, they can be moved to fit where needed and when new owners are found they would be limited to geographical re-names within that region.

Just wanted to clear up any confusion people might have.

Mike
All-Pro

Post by Mike »

I am largely in agreement with BLK's GM.

As for Dayton, why 'retire' it? Wouldn't it be preferable to keep the team as it is, but with a new owner? That way the new owner would have to live up to 'the good old days'
2011 Gold Cup Winner
2013 Gold Cup Winner