Madison Mad Dogs Season Preview

Team Articles, Information and Rumors
pjohns
All-Pro

Madison Mad Dogs Season Preview

Post by pjohns »

Madison ready to strike back

After being criticised last season for having too many veterans on the squad and after having the first losing season under GM Paul Johns the Mad Dogs made big changes in the offseason offloading veterans and bringing in some very good young talent.

Already some people around the league think that talented 2nd year QB Shane Franzer could be the new starter for Madison if he has a successful training camp. Franzer still has to beat out veteran Richard Fuentes who has had an excellent career since arriving from the FA scrapheap to Madison a few seasons back.

At RB 4th year Omar Bacon has his first full season in Madison and at WR for Franzer are a trio of quality young WR's.

With veteran WR Chris Horn retired and All-FIFL WR Rashaan Vanterpool surprisingly traded, former 1st round pick 5th year WR Ira Hillary finally becomes the main man in Madison, two WR's picked up in trades also look very promising. 4th year WR Jerry Reese looks set to be WR2 with fellow new WR 3rd year Cory Fleming being the other starter.

The offensive line had a boost in this years draft, strong offensive linemen Giovanni Deloatch and Evan Triggs could perhaps start after training camp. There is quality depth here and many fine young prospects.

The defensive line is much younger after trading All-FIFL DT Bear Barley . The elder statesmen is 6th year pro DT Andrew Marlatt. Marlatt will be joined by 5th year DE Jim Spady and 4th year DE Curt Mull. Joining Marlatt at DT is former first round pick and 2nd year player DT Andre Slappy. In the draft 2nd round pick DE Patrick Garth could potentially start giving the Mad Dogs one of the youngest and talented defensive lines in the league

The linebackers could be a worry, several FA's joined the team late last season but played very well. Former FA LB Rico Curtis played well enough last year to start this season. 3rd year pro LB George Williams should be another starter to play alongside veterans Jarvis Spencer and Norman Watkins.

The Mad Dogs suddenly have a very young offense and defensive line and could surprise some people this upcoming season. With many young stars starting this year Madison could be a force to be reckoned with in the near future.

exit322
All-Pro

Post by exit322 »

BIG SEXY!!!

*Deloatch

-> That's what his nickname was at Greyhounds games.

Has Franzer gotten another DUI yet? How about his child support? It paid?
Let the Mayhem begin!

pjohns
All-Pro

Post by pjohns »

I'm a bit worried now that i drafted some 'pin up' for Greyhound fans. If i was a fan of this particular team you are talking about i dont think i would ever ever ever ever give a nickname to a player of 'big sexy'.

Very confused about your comments of Franzer ?!

exit322
All-Pro

Post by exit322 »

Franzer's past history as Ohio Valley Greyhounds QB

->Got head cheerleader pregnant.
->Left.
->Got summonsed for child support.

Allthewhile getting hit with his second DUI (driving under the influence) and having to play the first half of the 2004 NIFL season under "house arrest" with a big homing device ankle bracelet. Severely hampered his mobility.

With that said, Franzer was a great special teams player in 2002 in helping the Hounds win the 2002 NIFL title, and was the QB and singlehandedly won the Greyhounds games in the 2003 title season.

Other prominent FIFLers on that Greyhound team in 2003:
HB Lloyd Clemons
HB/KR Rayshawn Askew (brought in second half of year, had a couple of HUGE touchdown kickoff returns in the playoffs)
FB/LB (FIFL LB) Chris Schneider
QB Shane Franzer
WR Willie Austin
CB Shawn Hackett
DE Curtese Poole
DT Eddie Bynes (23 sacks in the regular season)

And a few that SHOULD be in the FIFL
C Mike Blackburn
OL Jason Hupp
OL Jason Whitfield
I dunno...they gave up 8 sacks combined in 2002 and 2003...

K John Wehrle
He'll be in there eventually...he was only a top 3 kicker in the NIFL from 2002-2004...certainly better than former Smash/Greyhounds kickers Bruce Reinecker and Tim Williams.

->too much free time, I know.
Let the Mayhem begin!