Requiem for Canada

Anything non-FIFL related goes here
Green Bay Bombers
All-Pro

Requiem for Canada

Post by Green Bay Bombers »

Ottawa, in place for the 1st Canadian championship since Montreal to win the Stanley Cup, got beat at their own game by the Ducks... Once again their checking forwards were significant factors, be it contributing offensively, shutting down most of Ottawa's scorers, or harassing the Senators defense with aggressive forechecking. Born in Buffalo, I was rooting for the Sabers. Having listened in my youth via transistor radio late night to Montreal (Frank Mahavolich and Dave Keon et al) and Detroit under the covers after we were all ordered to bed I was hoping the Canucks could keep it in house. Even the regional win by Orange/San Diego County did not assuage my grief as the Senators went down. Long live the days when we as kids went onto the ice with Hardy Boys hardbacks propped up our shins as we took to the ice to emulate our heroes.

Mike
All-Pro

Post by Mike »

hahaha. Great writeup. Although it is sometimes so hot in Ottawa these days that it is hard to sleep, and therefore hard to think about ice hockey, it was fun to follow the Sens.

I really think that the Sens were used to getting the puck in their own end, taking the time to make a nice, leisurely pass to the forwards, who then suddenly put on the jet-skates and ATTACKED the opponents' end of the ice. However Anaheim was always there, ready to stop our attack right when the defence touched it! Oh, well. Some bad luck played a role, but the best team still won.
2011 Gold Cup Winner
2013 Gold Cup Winner