FREAKS me out!

Anything non-FIFL related goes here
Mike
All-Pro

FREAKS me out!

Post by Mike »

Wowsers! I have a M.Sc. in Microbiology/Immunology. A strain of Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) is responsible for cervical cancer (i.e. women) late in life. I knew that; it is the target of the 'Gardasil' vaccines out there.

But, this HPV virus is apparently adding 4kg (about 10 lbs.) of warts to one man in Indonesia. Thought it was bogus, but saw the story on ABC News AND The Discovery Channel.

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/mysho ... ndex.shtml
2011 Gold Cup Winner
2013 Gold Cup Winner

JH-Tide
Seasoned-Veteran

Post by JH-Tide »

For some reason I don't think that guy's cells are gonna be tapped to produce vaccines.

Mike
All-Pro

Post by Mike »

LOL.

It's more a question of his immune system. Viruses try to invade our cells all of the time. Cells protect the entire body by advertising what is inside the cell using an 'MHC' protein on the outside of the cell. The MHC basically takes recycled cellular proteins and shows them to the immune system outside. If a viral protein is presented, the Immune system attacks in different ways (including killing the cell to save the rest of the cells).

The viral protein tries to camouflage its invasion by reducing MHCs so the fact of its invasion will not be advertised to the immune system. The Immune System, having dealt with viruses for millennia, as a backup system: Natural Killer (NK) cells. NKs search for cells missing MHCs (i.e. virus-invaded, or cancer cells) and kill those cells because they can't be considered 'safe'.

Somehow, this guy's immune system is weird, perhaps due to a genetic change.
2011 Gold Cup Winner
2013 Gold Cup Winner