mRNA vaccines

Anything non-FIFL related goes here
Mike
All-Pro

mRNA vaccines

Post by Mike »

Hi, Mike from Fort Wayne here. My thoughts on the new vaccines. I'm hearing concerns about the 'mRNA' vaccines. I wanted to explain why I thought they would be useful.

I have three university degrees in life sciences; M.Sc. Microbiology & Immunology (Queen's U) and M.Sc. Biochemistry (McGill). The last was in 2006. My knowledge is a bit aged.

I would take the vaccine. The immune system has to determine what is 'self' and what is 'non-self'. It is not easy. My immune system overreacts to peanuts and other nuts so I have allergies. I won't die but my stomach will purge. Not fun. I also have allergies to pets.

Most of the new vaccines are 'mRNA' vaccines. Now, naturally DNA encodes everything. That gets translated into 'messenger RNA' or mRNA'. The mRNA then gets transcribed into proteins. So DNA ---> mRNA ---> proteins naturally in the cell.

Historically, we made vaccines with proteins.

In just the past 2-3 years we have mRNA vaccines. Instead of injecting a protein into my body, why not inject the mRNA which is one step before the protein? (DNA --> mRNA--> protein). So, the vaccine uses my body's machinery to make the viral protein. That starts an immune reaction by my immune system. So, when the 'real thing' comes near, my immune system is ready to react! I think of it in lay terms as a mug shot or fingerprint...the immune system is primed to recognize the virus as 'not self' and stop it.

I don't want the virus. Shortness of breath, mucus overwhelming the lungs. I'm in good shape and will probably survive that. But why bother? I have more Gold Cups to win, and that would distract me.

If I would have a chance, I would take an mRNA vaccine. Maybe not the Johnson & Johnson one for ethical concerns. But I would take the mRNA vaccine. The worst thing I would experience is maybe the mRNA vaccine wipes out natural mRNA process, outcompetes them, so normal cell activity is missed for 24-48 hours. I may feel a little sick as a result. But, I think it is better than risking gasping for breath after infection.
2011 Gold Cup Winner
2013 Gold Cup Winner