2026 Playoff Race(s) National Conference

Weekly predictions and previews from the 'experts'
Mike
All-Pro

2026 Playoff Race(s) National Conference

Post by Mike »

FIFL 2026 has four more regular season games to go per team! Thanks to the Commish for reviving the Frankenstein league from the dead!

Last season the lowest playoff team had but eight wins. So that will be my cutoff for looking at teams that have a chance to make the playoffs. (C'mon Nashville, gotta build a team around QB Ricky Ray pronto!)

Reno 7-3
vs HON (win)
vs POR (win)
Vs BIS (win)
@ WCH (lose)
So, 10-4
This team hasn't lost all year at home. Didn't lose a game at home last season...HON may upset with the #2 rated offence. (yes that's a 'c' in offence. I'm Canadian so Queen's English! You can keep Meghan Markle and the Prince who doesn't keep Vegas activities in Vegas). Anyways, I can't figure the Reno Express success. All I know is they are #3 in scoring and #3 in scoring against. The stats seem to be average all around except for being the #1 sacking team and #5 in sacks given up. Maybe they should be the Reno Enigma!?!?

San Jose 7-3
@ WCH (lose)
vs HON (win)
@ POR (lose)
vs GBY (win)
So 9-5
This team lost at home, 2-2 in division. Very strong but not the best. HB Humes is surprisingly taking out the Man of Irons in HON. 74 first downs rushing! Humes only has five TDs rushing though which is a bit odd. Number one team in passing too. QB Lorenzen is having a career year. So, San Jose's offense vs Reno's sacking power: who wins? Reno won by 11, then by 3 in OT. Still, quite a matchup! (read the Commish' lead story for the week; well-written!)

Hon 6-4
@REN (lose)
@ SAN (lose)
vs WCH (win)
@ POR (win)
8-6 (wins last playoff seed).
Honolulu probably breathed a sigh of relief when the Prowlers took a refresh year or two, but the Reno Enigma and the super year of San Jose offered different challenges. HON beat Reno at home but not by much, and lost to San Jose at home. So, probably not going to win on the road. (cue the argument of HB Irons and the all-purpose yards leader). This is the team that has the second-best scoring in the Conference, so watch out. Sleeper to become the #1 seed, especially as they are tied for second-best in takeaway/giveaways. Fort Wayne (worst) may steal some of their positional offensive coaches this year.

POR: based on the above matchups, POR can't run the table (win all games) to go 8-6. however, it is a good time to play spoiler and evaluate players. The Lone...Raugabaugh surprised in his debut.

MIN 7-3
vs TEN (win, Ten is 1-4 on the road)
vs WCH (win...oddly the only matchup with WCH)
@ COL (lose in an upset)
@ SPR (lose...SPR's GM thinks he should win every game so I won't waste my time arguing :lol: Cross-reference to 'Trash Talk')
9-5, takes the division

MIN has a chance to show what it has against very good teams in WCH, TEN, and, yes, SPR. Looking at last year's schedule, They beat Ten, lost to Wch by a point, beat COL and lost to SPR. This team is stronger this year, not sure how. Offence is 16th in yards.
Yet the QB is top 5. This is the classic 'bend but don't break' defence. They gave up #17 in first downs, yet only are #4 in scoring given up.

WCH 6-4
vs San Jose (win)
@ MIN (lose)
@ HON (lose)
vs Reno (win)
8-6, loses to HON for last spot.

WCH has control of its destiny and has a game above HON in the conference, at the moment (in wins), but has a very tough schedule. Nobody could suggest a tougher schedule in the Conference especially as the Warlords beat the incredible Green Bay team in Green Bay. #5 in offence, led by the top-rated QB James McNear with 105 rating, can surprise. However, the 17th defence in yards means this team is just not balanced enough. Sucks for McNear who is the only QB with over 70% completion.

GBY 4-6.
TEN, WCH , COL, SPR. While these opponents are generally not a strong as WCH's opponents, I don't see GBY winning all four and getting in. #6 in passing and #7 in rushing, this team needs a little defence to make it.
2011 Gold Cup Winner
2013 Gold Cup Winner

Mike
All-Pro

Re: 2026 Playoff Race(s) National Conference

Post by Mike »

Very tight races by a Conference that has a lot of winners even though it lost Springfield.

Looking at the top, MIN and REN are 9-3 REN beats Bismack, loses to WCH for 10 wins. Well-played!
MIN wins @ COL loses of course to SPR 10 wins. Well-played!

Two spots left. San Jose just lost to HON but is 8-4. A cut above! @ POR and vs GBY. They won 22-0 vs Por earlier so assume a win. GBY surprises with a road win (they are 2-3 on the road!) so SAN gets to 9-5 and a playoff spot.

Last Spot: HON (7-5), GBY (6-6), WCH (6-6).
Honolulu really lost their confidence, or it comes in fits and then stops. They seem to have been a powerhouse this year that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. First game at home vs WCH. HON"s #2 Offence takes out WCH's #17 defence. As much as HON has struggled, they are facing the team that gave up the most points in the Conference. Maybe the top-rated QB McNear can take over the game, but I assume HB Irons will run down the clock. HON wins, goes to 8 wins, eliminating WCH.

GBY @ NAS and @ SAN. NAS won only one home game, so is vulnerable. I already said GBY beats SAN. GBY goes 8-6.

This leaves HON at 8-5. What happens in their last game? @ POR. HON has some decent road wins. HON gets in with 9 wins.
2011 Gold Cup Winner
2013 Gold Cup Winner