Gold Cup XVI - Slayers Press Conference

Weekly predictions and previews from the 'experts'
TC
All-Pro

Gold Cup XVI - Slayers Press Conference

Post by TC »

To keep with his ‘Gold Cup Eve tradition’, Slayers GM TC took time out to speak with the media and answer questions about the 2014 season and of course, the upcoming league championship game.

Question: How important was it for Springfield to regain the Great Plain division this season?

TC: Well, one of our goals each season IS to win our division. A division title guarantees us a spot in the playoffs, which is the greater goal. With the 2014 Great Plain Division title, the Slayers have now won their 5th total. But more importantly this season, we had to re-establish ourselves as a power in the National Conference after what Black Hills did in 2013, and I feel that we have done exactly that by going to our 3rd consecutive National Conference Championship and 2nd Gold Cup in 3 seasons.

Question: What are your thoughts about having to face QB Albert Higgs for the Gold Cup?

TC: I have to be honest and say that I am a little concerned. Our history against Higgs isn’t great. We beat Portland and we’re facing their storied quarterback now in Madison for the league championship. What do we have to do to NOT play against this guy? (laughing)

Question: After being involved in 2 double overtime playoff games in the past few seasons, are you happy that Springfield didn’t have to go to OT in their playoff games this time around?

TC: Extremely happy! Our defense has really stepped it up in the postseason and I hope they can continue that trend in the Gold Cup game.

Question: It seems like this question comes up often during your press conferences. Any thoughts on new contracts for the coaching staff?

TC: Well I think you asked me that after the 2012 season and we extended their contracts for 2 years, so I guess it’s that time again. But, we’ll put that on hold until after the championship game. I would rather the focus be on preparing this team to win against Madison, instead of distractions about contract terms. Our staff knows that we will take care of them…we’ll work out the details after the season.

Question: A lot of folks were scratching their heads when Springfield acquired QB David Dinkins from Fort Wayne when Taylor had won 4 consecutive games after starting 0-2.

TC: I’m sure. Our scouts kept an eye on Dinkins for quite some time and our coaches approached me about bringing him over from the Safari. They felt that he would fit our system and could provide our offense with a needed spark in the passing game. I think his performance on the field proves that with a 111.7 QB rating and more importantly, a 7-2 record as a starter thus far (including the playoffs).
However, Antoine is still a vital part of this team. He has proven himself time after time and we know we have a starter-quality QB as our backup. The coaches and myself have the utmost confidence that he can step in at any point and lead this team should Dinkins suffer an injury.

Question: Your team lost in OT against Madison in this season’s Kickoff Classic. What are your expectations versus the MadDogs in the Championship?

TC: That game in Week 1 was obviously close…and I expect the same in the Gold Cup game. The big difference in our favor this time around is that the game will be on a neutral field and not on Madison’s home turf. In that game, we didn’t turn the ball over and we’ll need to repeat that in this game. We’ve leaned on Leroy all season long and he hasn’t disappointed yet, so I would expect Madison to get a healthy dose of #34. However, if the MadDogs stack the box against McFadden then we feel Dinkins can shoulder the load…that’s why we brought him over in the trade.
Paul has crafted Madison into a championship-caliber team and won the Eastern Division...a feat in itself considering Fort Wayne has won it for 6 consecutive seasons. I truly expect this game to be a war. I hope that Springfield has enough firepower to emerge victorious.
Last edited by TC on Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

pjohns
All-Pro

Post by pjohns »

Good luck in the final ! You have a great team and i just hope it'll be a great game.

TC
All-Pro

Post by TC »

pjohns wrote:Good luck in the final ! You have a great team and i just hope it'll be a great game.
Thanks...good luck to you as well! All signs point to a defensive battle, but you never know what'll happen. ;)

Whatever the outcome I hope it's an exciting game...

-TC